Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Slumdog Millionaire

1) I am home taking care of a very sick little girl. She's five and she's fevered and I really, really wanted to be starting The Kite Runner with you today, but I cannot.

2) In light of our conversations about empathy and international mindedness, I'd like you to watch, "Slumdog Millionaire." It's an oscar winning film that is both joyful and heart-breaking. (TOC - I believe the film is in the library.)

A Mumbai teen who grew up in the slums, becomes a contestant on the Indian version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" He is arrested under suspicion of cheating, and while being interrogated, events from his life history are shown which explain why he knows the answers.


While watching, consider this question: how does this film connect to the story, "The Ninny"?