Monday, May 23, 2011

Tuesday and Wednesday

Remember when we started this semester I told you that it was a very unusual one as I would be pulled away frequently for responsibilities outside of my class? Well, Tuesday and Wednesday I am away on a field trip... but this is it! No more days away.

To make things productive and enjoyable, I ask that you accomplish two things each day.

1) Read Macbeth out loud for half of the class. Stop an make sure you understand what is going on. I'll review the most essential lines when I return. You are on Act 1 Scene 4.

2) For the last half of each day, watch the most famous adaptation of Macbeth - The Throne of Blood (1957). It is set in Fuedal Japan and you will see all the same themes and ideas at play.
After a great military victory, Lords Washizu and Miki are lost in the dense Cobweb Forest, where they meet a mysterious old woman who predicts great things for Washizu and even greater things for Miki's descendants. Once out of the forest, Washizu and Miki are immediately promoted by the Emperor. Washizu, encouraged by his ambitious wife, plots to make even more of the prophecy come true, even if it means killing the Emperor...

Enjoy!