Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tara, this is Stupid Stuff (or, into the wild...)

1) Questions to ask of a Poem  - click here

2) Picture this. I'm a poet. I write a lot of sorrowful, questioning poems. I share them with my friends. Maybe I post them on Facebook, or I actually read them to my friends. And then, one day, I'm in a bar, having a beer (maybe some nachos too, I like nachos...) and my friend says to me, "Why do you write such sad stuff all the time?" I pause. I ponder... and then in a long-winded poetic way I provide an answer:

Tara, this is stupid stuff!

Like short stories, we first ask about setting and speaker. (We are entering into the wilds of a dramatic situation - we need to figure out who, where... and then what, when, how... )

3) Time to work on questions (or time to finish test or time to work on creative project).

4) Tomorrow we'll check in with your answers.